Re: What to do when the lists just can't help me

On Thursday 28 April 2005 22:55, Rob Brenart (TT) wrote:
> Even in 2.6.10, I can't get sound to work with wine. The wine people had
> all sorts of helpful advice, but nothing worked out.
>
> So... google, the applicable lists, and IRC just aren't working for me.
>
> Now what? I live in Chicago, so I'm hoping geography won't limit me...
> All my coworkers/friends are no help because, like me, their usage of
> linux is mostly for servers or to get real work done, so the sound

Your local Linux User Group (LUG) might be some help.  Other options include
paying a developer to make it Just Work (tm), using a different driver
(proprietary, non-free OSS, OSS, etc.), using a similar OS that might support
it better (FreeBSD, etc., but the chances are poor), and also just using a
different soundcard or USB sound device.

Before all that, reinstalling from scratch and going through the appropriate
docs, accounts from other users, and How-Tos STEP-BY-STEP would probably be
worth it too: I know I always skim those things, and cost myself more time
and trouble than I need ;)

--
Lee.