Re: Backup From One Drive - Restore To Another

Am Donnerstag, 28. April 2005 06:15 schrieb Scarletdown:

> eventually reselling it.  However, the primary hard drive is
> starting to develop errors (I'm doing an fsck on it at this
> time).  After the fsck is done, I plan on eventually swapping
> out that drive for a different one.  But, I really don't want to
> have to go through the Debian install process again.  That being

If you plug both the old and the new disk into one system, you can
start a cd-bootable linux system (like knoppix, damn small linux,
etc.).  Use that system to create a new file system on the target
disk and copy the complete contents of your old file system onto
the new one.

You can use tar, "cp -a" or maybe "rsync -aH --numeric-ids" for
that.  Be sure to exclude the /proc and /sys directories and
create them on the target disk seperately.

Finally reinstall your bootloader on the new disc and you're done.

Regards,
Dennis

--
Send personal mail to dennis@... only.  Off-list