crappy widget fonts (KDE? QT?) after upgrade

My specific question:
Has anyone else seen their KDE widget fonts turn to crap in the last 10 days?

I'm running Sid (KDE 3.3.2) and somewhere after a recent general package
upgrade my KDE fonts degraded.  I can adjust kmail, konsole, etc but all the
KDE menu widgets (pulldowns, text boxes, etc) are horked as well.

The characters have uneven weight, so that the right side can be considerably
darker than the left.  It's still legible but butt ugly.

In the bonus round:
After running 'apt-get upgrade' or 'dselect', how do I tell exactly which
packaged were touched?  As amazing a tool as apt/dpkg is, I have yet to find
any logfile or history.  Is the best I can do 'ls -t /var/lib/dpkg/info/' ?

tia,
longtimenoob