Re: sshd created user, or did i dream?

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 23:13, dexter2 wrote:
> I wass expecting to be asked for username and password, but i wass
> prompted only for password. So i typed in, the root password. And by
> some miracle i loged in.

If you don't supply a login name, ssh assumes your name is the same on the
remote machine as what you're currently logged in as.  So if you ssh out as
"john", that's what ssh will contact the remote machine as, too.

> $whoami
> john

I suspect you've probably created this user when setting up the system, and
forgot you did it (easy enough on Debian), or maybe accidentally you've
created it somehow, by copying your etc directory over, or something like
that.

--
Lee.