hplip and its "toolbox"

Hi, anyone have much HPLIP experience?

I've always wondered how the heck you can know what your HP printer's
exact complaint is when it is revealing an apparent problem and one is
using linux (and not being able to use the included software with the
printer).  Now I'm hopeful that this is what HPLIP is partly about.

I just discovered that I already have /usr/lib/hplip/toolbox installed
on my computer thanks to the hplip package.  This starts the "HP Device
Manager" GUI.  The problem is that it doesn't detect the HP deskjet
3845 printer I have attached to the system via USB.  I'm running Sarge
by the way.

I am using CUPS and have hpijs, hplip, foomatic, etc., etc. all that
stuff.  The printer is currently configured and working with cups.

I've read the /usr/share/doc/hplip/README.Debian which has a promising
section about how to (if having a problem) detect your printer.  I
followed the steps,

I make sure the hplip service is started.  I can probe for and find the
printer

	# /usr/lib/hplip/probe
	 HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 0.8.7)
	 Device Detection (Probe) Utility ver. 1.0
	 Copyright (c) 2003-4 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
	 is software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
	 is is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
	 under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

	 Device URI                                  Model
	 ------------------------------------------  ---------------
	 hp:/usb/Deskjet_3840?serial=TH46T120QG040R  HP Deskjet_3840

(it actually seems to detect it as a 3840.)

I restart CUPS.  But I run /usr/lib/hplip/toolbox and the software
starts with a pop-up box complaining that no HP printers are found.
It tells me to configure the printer with CUPS and then "refresh
all".  "Refresh all" does nothing except give me the same pop-up error
messagea gain.  I've tried deleting the printer and readding it.  I hit
"refresh all" again.  It continues to give me the same message about
adding the printer to CUPS with the web interface, etc.

Any help?

Paul

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman@ucsd.edu