Re: Recommended Backup/Restore Tools for Newbie

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 02:41:44PM -0400, Parker, Matthew wrote:

..

> -----------------------------------
> -- Requirements of System Backup --
> -----------------------------------
> * Incremental Data Backups/SnapShots
> * System Restore: i.e. bare metal restore
> * Open Source
> * Something that a relative newbie can handle
> * "Popular"
>    > Mature
>    > Well-Documentated
>    > Currently under development/testing
>    > possible relevance to the world of work (i.e. a good tool to put on
> resume)
>

> -------------------------
> -- Possible Candidates --
> -------------------------
> * Mondo Restore
> * Rsync

rsync violates spec#1 above ...
	- it does NOT make snapshots
	- it does NOT do incremental backups per se, but will
	overwrite it ( you cannot restore the previous copy )
	- it does not do "bare metal restore"

- i'm brain-dead about mondo and is below my radar screen

- ( some ) backup candidates under debian ??

	apt-cache search backup

-- by bare metal restore ....

	a) that usually means a standalone boot cd or other boot
	media to install the default linux onto the bare metal box
		- most backup apps is not a standalone system

	b) than use the "backup app" to restore from
	backup:/super-safe-backup/home/stuff  new-bare-metal:/home

		- most all backups will do restores AFTER you
		have a working linux box that can talk to the
		previous backup system

- for open source, there no such thing as "well documented"
	- either too much documents(info) or not enough

	- any standalone "howto" is usually good enough for
	"documentation" ... more howto there is, the more likely
	your chances that it'd have the info you need and the
	more popular it'd be

- find | tar is the best and most mature and simplest ( 1 line to do backups )
	and can recover from failed incrementals and failed full backups

- popular backup apps
	Linux-Backup.net/Apps

c ya
alvin