Re: Recommended Backup/Restore Tools for Newbie

Parker, Matthew wrote:

> I'm a relative newbie who has just installed Debian (Woody) on 5
> servers: 2 Firewalls, an Apache/TWiki server, a file server, and a
> workstation w/ Gnome. I'm looking for a solution to backup these systems
> (and also the data on the file server.)

> -------------------------
> -- Possible Candidates --
> * Mondo Restore
> * Rsync

I suggest you look into dirvish. It uses rsync for copying (giving you its
flexibility and network efficiency), and takes full snapshots daily. It
hardlinks files that are unchanged between the snapshots to minimize disk
space. Restore is as simple as a basic file copy from the desired snapshot.
It also supports scheduling of snapshot removal based on whatever backup
retention policies you may have.

Adam