mount nfs on the fly

Hello,

I have a server at home which exports an nfs share. If the server is
powered on when I boot a client I can access the nfs share without
problems from the client as it is mounted accordingly to the rules of
fstab at boot time. But if I happen to power on the server when the
client has already booted, I have to mount the nfs share manually.
My question is: can I automate this process, i. e. could the client
automatically try to mount the nfs share when the directory to which the
share is mounted on the client is accessed?
I'm no expert, but I have observed that samba makes this
automatically. On the other hand I'd prefer to use nfs and not samba.

Any advice is welcome. It might be a simple issue but I've found no
clues so far in the NFS-howto and other sources.

Regards,
Hans-Joerg v. Mettenheim