Re: ssh.com on debian woody/i386

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:02:01AM +0200, Jim MacBaine wrote:
> On 4/26/05, Sean Davis <dive-debian@endersgame.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi, has anyone tried running ssh.com in place of openssh on woody? I just
> > gave it a shot, and it was very noticably slower, for example there was a
> > quite noticable delay between typing ls <enter> and getting the output.
> > OpenSSH doesn't do that...
>
> I remember that sometime ago ssh.com has not supported the ssh-v1 protocol
> natively, but needed to start the extra ssh-1 server seperately for each
> connection.  What protocol do you use?

I use protocol 2. I never even enable protocol 1.

> Out of curiosity, why do you prefer the closed-source ssh over openssh?
> What features justify the price (~ 700 euros per server, IIRC)?

1) No OpenBSD developers involved. I've dealt with them in the past, and...
   no thanks.
2) No OpenSSL involved - this makes it quite a lot faster on older hardware,
   say, a Sun Ultra 5. Sun's OpenSSL is fine, because they've optimized it,
   but I am not using Solaris.
3) In my experience, its compression is a LOT faster than OpenSSH's.
4) It's not 700 anything per server - it's free for non-commercial use,
   which is how I use it.