ssh.com on debian woody/i386

Hi, has anyone tried running ssh.com in place of openssh on woody? I just
gave it a shot, and it was very noticably slower, for example there was a
quite noticable delay between typing ls <enter> and getting the output.
OpenSSH doesn't do that...

Now, for comparison... ssh.com is much, much faster than openssh on my
NetBSD machines. It's more responsive on my 333mhz UltraSPARC-IIi running
NetBSD than it is on this XP2200+ running Debian woody. Has anyone else
noticed this phenomenon? any suggestions? I would prefer ssh.com over
OpenSSH, but until I figure out what's making it slow, it's not an option.

-Sean