Re: history of system

On 4/25/05, michael <linux@networkingnewsletter.org.uk> wrote:

> Yes, I have got it to email me but it comes out as 'garbage' or at least
> as data I do not know how to read (uudecode didn't help). The below
> example is for the "news" info, the "changelogs" is same sort of thing
> but much longer.
>
> Thanks, Michael
>
> mail
> & 2
> Message 2:
> >From root@ratty Mon Apr 25 15:29:32 2005
> Subject: apt-listchanges: news for ratty
> To: michael@ratty
> From: root <root@ratty>
> Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:29:32 +0100
>
> cHBwICgyLjQuMy0yMDA0MTIzMSszKSB1bnN0YWJsZTsgdXJnZW5jeT1tZWRpdW0KCiAgKiBSZW1v
> dmVkIHBhdGNoIDA1N19wcHBvZS1pbnRlcmZhY2UtY2hhbmdlIHdoaWNoIHdhcyByZWZ1c2VkIGJ5
> IHRoZQogICAgdXBzdHJlYW0gbWFpbnRhaW5lci4gTm93IHVzZXJzIG11c3QgYXJyYW5nZSBmb3Ig
> dGhlIGV0aGVybmV0CiAgICBpbnRlcmZhY2UgdXNlZCBmb3IgUFBQb0UgdG8gYmUgdXAuCiAgKiBU
> aGUgUFBQb0EgcGx1Z2luIGRvZXMgbm90IHJlcXVpcmUgYW55bW9yZSB0aGUgbGliYXRtMSBwYWNr
> YWdlIHRvIGJlCiAgICBpbnN0YWxsZWQuCgogLS0gTWFyY28gZCdJdHJpIDxtZEBsaW51eC5pdD4g
> IFN1biwgMjAgRmViIDIwMDUgMjA6MzQ6MDAgKzAxMDAK
>
> &

Well, as you can see by the header, it's base64-encoded.  I have no
idea why.  Maybe it's a sendmail setting?  Here's a sample from one of
mine:

Subject: apt-listchanges: changelogs for debian
To: root@localhost.localdomain
From: root <root@localhost.localdomain>

gaim (1:1.2.1-1) unstable; urgency=medium

  * New upstream version. Fixes IRC escaping remote DOS problems, hence medium
     priority.

  * debian/patches/icq-auth2.patch:
     - removed, upstream backed the changes out themselves in this release

 -- Robert McQueen <robot101@debian.org>  Mon,  4 Apr 2005 04:36:38 +0100