Re: Big trouble with nfs

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:12:55PM +0200, Markus.Grunwald@pruftechnik.com wrote:

> My big problem is, that sometimes (mostly when lots of data is
> transferred, like during linking a big project) a process that wants
> to access data from /home gets into state "D uninterruptible sleep"

I see this a LOT with USB drives. I had so many problems with it that I
moved all my USB drive enclosures to a dedicated box.

I've done a few things that seem to have helped:

    1. Upgrading to kernel-image >= 2.6.10 on the host server.
    2. Mounting the exported partition synchronously.
    3. Explicitly setting the export as synchronous.

The server still occasionally needs rebooting, but the client can
usually be fixed with a simple remount to refresh the stale NFS file
handles.

Hope this helps.

--
Find my Techno-Geek Journal at http://www.codegnome.org/geeklog/