Re: ISO talk-like utility

On Monday April 25 2005 8:03 am, kynn@panix.com wrote:
> In other systems that I have worked on there was a command "talk"
> for this sort of thing.  What is the standard utility in Debian
> systems for this sort of thing?

write(1) is good for those one-off messages, but just like with talk,
folks have to be set mesg t for it to work.  wall(8) is good for
superusers who want to make sure everyone on every terminal sees it.
The latter is especially desirable for systems where there is
commonly more than one user logged in, even better when all the users
are in the same physical proximity, like offices.  Odds are a
coworker/peer student/whoever will then know who it is and pull them
away from the water cooler to fix the problem.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo@ursine.ca