All discs pop out after 2 minutes

I don't have autofs, subfs/submount, magicdev, autorun or anything
described in /usr/share/doc/dvd+rw-tools.

My /etc/fstab line is
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom   iso9660 rw,user,noauto  0   0

I do have devfs and am running sid with 2.6.8 on a powerpc (tibook).

I just finished repairing the laptop (the monitor cable) which involved
pulling out pretty much every single component.  I promise to switch to
udev _after_ I get my backups onto the discs.

But I can't write with dvdrecord or dvd+rw-tools.

cdrecord -scanbus and dvdrecord -checkdrive dev=0,0,0 both give
reasonable output.

Any ideas?

I'm sad.

Josh