Re: Thesis/Dissertation authoring application

Jon Dowland wrote:
hjvm@freenet.de wrote:

Lyx might be worth a try (http://www.lyx.org). It's a graphical frontend for LaTeX and is more like open office, etc., while using the powerful type setting capabilities of LaTeX.
It's a kind of WYSIWYG editor for LaTeX.

I've never quite understood this. I always thought the benefit of tex/latex was it *wasn't* WYSIWYG. Still, I suppose there are shades of grey...

Hi

I don't think there is a problem with 'What you see is what you get'.
The better characterisation for Word and OO and such apps would be,
'What YOU design is what you get'. ;-)

Seriously though, if you ever have tried to type scientific literature
including long formulas, cross references and such using LaTeX you will
see quite a benefit using Lyx.
It is so much faster to have some intermediary visualisation because
you won't have to worry about typos in your formulas.

I have used lyx for all my work at the university and can absolutely
recommend it.

Cheers,
Nikolai