Re: Thesis/Dissertation authoring application

Lyx might be worth a try (http://www.lyx.org). It's a graphical frontend for LaTeX and is
more like open office, etc., while using the powerful type setting capabilities of LaTeX.
It's a kind of WYSIWYG editor for LaTeX.
I wrote my theses with Lyx and was quite happy but have now switched to LaTeX
because I want to have the source at my fingertips. Lyx may be a good intro and
produces excellent quality like LaTeX. But if you want the maximum of control and
especially if you do math typesetting you should choose pure LaTeX.
But don't be in a hurry. You shouldn't decide to hack your nearly-late theses with LaTeX.
Be prepared to invest some learning effort. It's definitely worth the pain.

Regards,
Hans-Joerg v. Mettenheim