Re: apache and inetd

On Sunday 24 of April 2005 18:41, James Vahn wrote:
> How do we start apache via inetd.conf? Thanks!

Well. It is possible to do it. If you're using apache 1.x

First. Stop apache daemon. Then you have to edit your /etc/apache/httpd.conf
by changing ServerType option using inetd parameter
ServerType inetd

Now - let's edit /etc/inetd.conf

Add line (could be at the bottom of the file) like this:
echo www     stream  tcp     nowait \
root.www-data   /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/apache
(this is SINGLE LINE, remove \ sign which only means here that it is SINGLE
LINE! ;) )

if you don't know what i'm talking about - just copy&paste next 2 lines
echo -e \
www\\tstream\\ttcp\\tnowait\\troot.www-data\\t/usr/sbin/tcpd\\t/usr/sbin/apache>>/etc/inetd.conf

all you have to do right now is to reload inetd superserver by typing
/etc/init.d/inetd reload

anyway. be aware that runnin' apache from inetd on heavy traffic sites is not
good idea.

ps: "apache 2.x" you may ask. well... it's not possible - check out this site
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/upgrading.html

regards.

--
Lech Karol Pawłaszek <ike>
"You will never see me fall from grace..." [KoRn]