Re: Help Please: Network Down

Apparently, _Marc Shapiro_, on 24/04/05 12:42,typed:
As of yesterday (April 24) my home network has stopped working.  It WAS working the day before.  I am running Sarge and I did do an upgrade.  I don't remember seeing anything that I would expect to affect the network, but I also don't remember just what it did say was being upgraded.

I am no longer able to ssh between my two boxes.

Although my gateway box will dial in to my ISP if I access it directly, it does not pass anything on to my desktop box.

The gateway box is running Woody and has not been upgraded within the timeframe of this problem.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any ideas on how to fix this will be appreciated.  I am sending this from a Windows laptop and would like to get back to my desktop machine.

The error that I receive from ssh, /etc/hosts, and output from dmesg from my desktop box follow:

mns@xander:~$ ssh mareschal
ssh: connect to host mareschal port 22: No route to host
mns@xander:~$

Just a little question, are you sure your eth0 is still eth0 and eth1 is still eth1 and so on? I had a similar problem a few weeks ago and discovered that after the update, my network cards were being detected in a different order. The solution (not elegant though) was to put the modules needed for the eth cards in /etc/modules in the order you want the cards to be detected.

HTH,
->HS

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.