Really Queer Sound Problem

With one exception sound works perfectly.

Specifically wavp plays wav files, Gnome/Multimedia/CD Player will play a music cd in /dev/cdrom2 (link to hdd), and workbone -d /dev/cdrom2 will also play the music cd. In each of these examples the sound is perfect.

BUT

the exception is when a music cd is played from /dev/cdrom (link to hdc). Then there is no sound. The programs run and shows that they are reading the cd but there is no sound.

This is a new development. Until yesterday there was no exception - everything worked.

The problem occurred just after I tried - unsuccessfully - to burn cd using xcdroast.

Note that the cdrom drive addressed by /dev/cdrom is not defective. If I insert a data cd and mount /cdrom I can read the directories and files with no problem. I even resorted to re-booting the Windoze. The Windoze CD Player can play a music cd in hdc with sound - no problem.

In summary, cd players can operate hdc, reading the table of contents, fast-forwarding to selected tracks and reading tracks but the output must be going to /dev/null. This is specific to hdc, a 52x cdrom drive. When the cd players operate hdd, a Sony cdrw drive the signal goes to the speakers and there are no problems.

For the record this is a Debian Sarge box with a 2.6.8 kernel complied with ALSA.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions which would help me track down this problem.

Tom George