Re: OT: can I send CDs by mail to Germany?

also sprach Laura Melton <debian-user@niceperson.org> [2005.04.23.2320 +0200]:
> I have done this experiment.  When I was studying in Germany, my
> mother (in the USA) mailed me a CD that I had bought and had
> delivered to my home address by mail.  She sent it to me and
> mailed it "commercial merchandise," which it actually wasn't.
> Nevertheless, the German customs office held it and made me pay
> tax for it.

What else did you expect? This is 100% the way it should be. You can
reclaim the VAT you paid in the US, but since the physical location
of the "merchandise" is Germany, that's where you will pay VAT
(16%).

If you are peeved about that, then you cannot be helped.

`. `'`

"being shot is not as bad as i always thought it might be.
 as long as you can keep the fear from your mind."
                                          -- special agent dale cooper