Re: how to use a two sided printer?

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 11:54:14PM +0100, Bruno Boettcher wrote:

> by printing a pdf document i discovered that my printer is able, by
> reeating the sheet, to print double sided pages....

Are you talking about the option to print all odd-numbered pages then
put the stack of paper back in and select all even-numbered pages for
printing? Or do you mean you have a printer that turns each page over
and prints both sides?  What printer is it?

> but i can't find anywhere how to tell either latex, dvips or gs how to
> activate that behaviour??
>
> never got lpd or cups to work, they only produce gibberish like the one
> shown in http://bboett.free.fr/scan.jpg
You probably lack a necessary package for cups. I had similar problems
in the past and remember solving it after being advised to install some
of these:
 cupsys
 cupsys-bsd
 cupsys-client
 foomatic-db
 foomatic-db-engine
 foomatic-db-hpijs
 foomatic-filters
 foomatic-gui
 hpijs
 libcupsimage2
 libcupsys2-gnutls10
 libusb-0.1-4
 cupsys-driver-gimpprint
 cupsomatic-ppd
 foomatic-db-gimp-print

Obviously, you may not need all of the above, or this list (grabbed off
an archive from aug 2004) may be incomplete.  Google a bit: I'm sure
you'll be happy once you get cups going.

--
richard