Re: only 'umount -l' works with one of my usb sticks

Apparently, _H. S._, on 20/04/05 15:00,typed:
Apparently, _H. S._, on 20/04/05 12:20,typed:

Hi,

On my Sarge machine running 2.6.9 kernel and gnome when I insert a USB stick it mounts automatically fine, I get it's desktop icon and I am able to read/write it. However, when I right click on the usb stick's icon and click on "unmount volume" it gives an error that the device is busy. Running 'umount /media/usbdisk' as root also doesn't work and gives the same message. But, "umount -l /media/usbdisk" works (as root) to umount the USB stick. I wonder what is going on here.

An update. I tried that USB stick again and now everything seems to be working fine. I did plugged and plugged out that USB stick a few more times and works like a charm. Not sure what the problem was.

->HS

I just noticed that the problem has ocurred again. I transfered a 123MB file from hard disk to the USB stick and after the file transfer was complete the USB stick refused to unmount citing that it was still busy.

Looks like the problem happens when large amount of data is transfered.

I checked how the disk was mounted:
/dev/sda1 on /media/usbdisk type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,noatime,quiet,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077)

If I try to unmount the usb disk as normal user, it complains I am not root (and that it doesn't have an fstab entry) and refuses to unmount it. If I try to umount it as root, I get the error that the device is busy. The only thing that works is lazy unmounting ('umount -l' or 'pumount -l').

Any hints on what is going on here and how to solve it?

thanks,
->HS
PS:
~# dpkg -l pmount hal dbus-1 gnome-volu* discover* hotplug pmount | grep ^ii
ii  pmount         0.7.1-1        mount removable devices as normal user
ii  hal            0.4.7-3        Hardware Abstraction Layer
ii  dbus-1         0.23.4-1       simple interprocess messaging system
ii gnome-volume-m 1.2.0-1 GNOME daemon to auto-mount and manage media
ii  discover       2.0.7-2        hardware identification system
ii discover-data 2.2005.02.13-1 Data lists for Discover hardware detection s
ii  hotplug        0.0.20040329-2 Linux Hotplug Scripts
ii  pmount         0.7.1-1        mount removable devices as normal user

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.