Re: Poll results: User views on the FDL issue

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 06:02:25PM -0400, Marty wrote:
> Glenn Maynard wrote:
> >  http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_003
> >
> >  "1. Debian will remain 100% free
> >
> >  We provide the guidelines that we use to determine if a work is "free"
> >  in the document entitled "The Debian Free Software Guidelines". We
> >  promise that the Debian system and all its components will be free
> >  according to these guidelines. We will support people who create or
> >  use both free and non-free works on Debian. We will never make the
> >  system require the use of a non-free component."
>
> I accept this vote regarding "Free Software," but I don't accept your
> implicit re-definition of the word "software" to include documentation.

The definition of the word "software" is irrelevant.  The SC, above, does
not care about the definition of "software"; it very explicitly refers to
"works".  This change was explicit and intentional, for exactly this
purpose--so people such as yourself might stop trying to dictionary-lawyer
documentation around the DFSG.

(This really isn't up for debate; while there are a couple other people
claiming things like "we were tricked!", you're the only person I see
confused about the above text, so I'm not going to waste further time
trying to convince you.  It's very simple: everything in Debian is clearly
a Work; everything in Debian must be Free; and the DFSG is used to determine
whether a work is Free.)

--
Glenn Maynard