Re: Poll results: User views on the FDL issue

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 03:09:33PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 01:52:35PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > glenn@zewt.org wrote:

> > >This was voted in by an overwhelming majority of those voting, to make
> > Who were a tiny fraction of the total number of developers, probably
> > as a result of the changes being defined "editoral" (which for most
> > people means "has no practical effect").

> The vote met quorum; GR2004-004, which gave an option to revert -003
> entirely, did not do so

Uh, false.  Look, I happen to believe the direction Debian is moving on
documentation is the right one, and I think that Marco's constant harping on
the mailing lists (instead of privately building support for another GR) is
asinine, but that doesn't justify claiming that the support for the status
quo is stronger than it is.

According to http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_004, 255 people voted for
option 4 (rescind 003) over the default option.  That definitely met quorum;
it's even more than voted altogether in the preceding GR.  The option did
not make the 3:1 supermajority needed to win, but it definitely did make a
simple majority.

What's not clear is how much of the support for this option in 2004-004 was
based on a sentiment of "something, anything, just not this".  The only way
to answer that question would be another GR on just the question of
rescinding 2004-003, held now that we're no longer in a climate of crisis.
I would welcome such a GR from the opponents of 2004-003, but I hope they'll
make an effort to talk to prospective voters beforehand (and I don't mean
yelling on mailing lists!) so that we only have to do it once.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer