Re: history of system

michael wrote:

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 11:37 -0400, Ralph Katz wrote:
On 04/20/2005 09:00 AM, michael wrote:
I would have thought this was a FAQ but I cannot find the solution, so
all pointers welcome!

Q: how do I see the 'history' of my system, such as what was installed
by apt-get and when

Thanks,
If you work with sudo (sudo apt-get install <package>), your recent
apt-get commands will be listed in the auth logs; /var/log/auth* .

True, but records of apt-get update/upgrade don't really tell me
much! :)

As
others have suggested, aptitude provides an activity log.

I switched to aptitude because it lets you test an
install/remove/upgrade for breakage /before/ you apply any changes.
It's also very fast.  Synaptic will do this, but requires X.

Regards.

I use wajig for all my .deb administration and it does keep a log of
actions if you are using the latest version. You have to be running
version 2.0.25 for the log-file option. The log file is in
/home/<user>/.wajig/<system dns name>/Log. There is also an X front end
called "gjig" but I only use the command line version. Wajig is a must
have for the debian administrator

Also the package devscripts is very handy for admins. The two overlooked
packages are
    rc-alert - check for installed packages with release-critical bugs
(kinda like freebsd's portaudit)
   wnpp-alert - check for installed packages up for adoption or orphaned