Re: [OT] Re: uk general election

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 12:18:04PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 April 2005 07:32, geoffthur@ntlworld.com wrote:

> >> (snip)

> >> Dear Geoff,
> >> good luck with your plight but please understand that writing you
> >> are against spam and writing this note to this list is a bit
> >> contradictory to say the least.
> >>
> >> Bob
> >
> >Ouch. At the very least I should have marked it OT, so apologies for
> >that. Would it have been more acceptable, though, if I had not
> > disclosed why I wanted the discussion and just asked the questions?
> > I'm sorry you think I've spammed the list: I'd be mortified if this
> > was the majority view. Thanks for your reply, Bob, anyway.
>
> I don't believe it is the 'majority view'.  OT it may have been, but
> anyone who really wants to make a difference, really should make use
> of whatever resources you know about, and this list is one such
> resource.  Personally, I commend you for both standing for the
> office, and for asking the question in a manner that indicated to me
> that you really were looking for a sensible 'consensus' opinion to
> adopt.

Thank you, Gene. I really regret having to drop out, but you have to
be a very organised person to stand for election on a whim, especially
with all the postal votes now. Campaign literature needs to be ready in
advance, with the date the only thing to be added when the election is
called. This many postal votes means that the election has effectively
been shortened to just about a fortnight in length for many people. It
takes pretty much this length of time for the Royal Mail to deliver
unaddressed leaflets or letters.

I was hoping the Liberal Democrat in court today trying to get a
postponement might be successful, but apparently he failed.

Thanks again for your encouraging reply.

Cheers,

Geoff