Sound on Dell Dimension 8300 - Linux newbie

Hello all,
I am quite new to Debian. I installed the 2.6-kernel w/o any problems,
everything works fine except my sound. I installed ALSA and did alsaconfig,
it seemed to recognise my soundcard but I still cannot hear anything. In the
volume panel, I checked whether there was something muted - I unmuted
everything. Any ideas for a beginner? My problem - nobody of my friends is
interested in Linux, so there is no help available.
I have got a Dell Desktop, model Dimension 8300. I think the soundcard says
something like Audigy SB 5.1. But I have only a headset connected to it,
actually.
Thank you for your support!
Munhie

--
+++ GMX - Die erste Adresse für Mail, Message, More +++

1 GB Mailbox bereits in GMX FreeMail http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail