Re: is there a software utility that can audit the security for debian?

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 03:26:47 -0700 (PDT)
Alvin Oga <aoga@mail.Linux-Consulting.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Lei Sun wrote:
>
> > Is there any software utility that I can install on debian, which in
> > fact  can audit the security for debian itself?
> >
> > For example, like portaudit for freebsd.
>
> that's just a port scanner ??? ( i say that's sorta meaningless ...

No, in FreeBSD, packages are called 'ports'. 'portaudit' does the
equivalent of a 'dpkg -l' and then compares the list and version numbers
to a db of security announcements to see if it finds anything that might
be vulnerable.

My recommendation would be to run stable and stay current with their
"apt-get update && apt-get upgrade". And subscribing to the
debian-security-announce mailing list would be good, too.

HTH,
Jacob