Re: shell script puzzle

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 16:06 -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Marty writes:
> > I always thought the shell defaulted to bash or ksh which is why I never
> > put the #!/bin/sh at the top of the file, and this and all my dozens of
> > other bash scripts seem to work as expected.  Why and how is perl being
> > invoked here?
>
> The first line  of debsums is:
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w

Proof for the sceptical:

$ head -n 3 `which debsums`
#! /usr/bin/perl -w

# $Id: debsums.in,v 1.11 2005/03/08 20:14:09 bod Exp $

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

The graduate with a Science degree asks, "Why does it work?"
The graduate with an Engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"
The graduate with an Accounting degree asks, "How much will it
cost?"
The graduate with a Liberal Arts degree asks, "Do you want fries
with that?"