Re: amazingly, debian server keeps crashing
I'm also no expert, but here are my thoughts:
First, some questions:
1. Are you running testing or unstable or what?
2. Has the server been working fine for a long time and suddenly
started crashing, or is it a new box?
3. Is the server on a good power supply?
4. What kind of load is the server under? What is it used for?
5. How old are the hard disks in the array? The controller?
6. When did you last install or upgrade any software?
7. How often is it happening? How long does it work before crashing?
Some things to consider:
1. Maybe there is a bad disk in the array.
2. Maybe the controller is hiccuping.
3. Maybe the motherboard is quirky.
4. Maybe the kernel or a module got upgraded to a bad version.
5. Maybe there's a power supply problem.
My guess is that it's a hardware problem. I would recommend that you
leave your software configuration alone until you isolate any hardware
problems. If you cannot find any hardware problems by disabling or
replacing different components, then look into a software problem.
Don't forget to make good, frequent backups!