Re: kde won't load.

Selon Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk>:

> The following was sent to me directly rather than via the list
>

> Re: kde won't load.
>  From: Jean-Philippe THIERRY <jphthierry@free.fr>
>  To: Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk>
>
> Selon Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk>:
>
> > On Saturday 16 April 2005 00:37, Lurking Death wrote:
> > > When i try to use login to the kde desktop environment my screen goes
> black
> > > and returns to the login screen.  What should i do to fix this?
> >
> > login from which package? (particularly is it graphical and therefore x is
> > running smoothly already)
> >
> > look in ~/.xsession-errors
> >

> > --
> > Alan Chandler
> > http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk
> >

> > --
> listmaster@lists.debian.org
> >

> I have had the same problem when I have updated X from dsfg 1-8 to dsfg 1-12.
> make it work again, I only have commented user specific lines in
> /etc/X11/Xsession and relaunch x session manager. After that I have
> decommented
> the same lines and it's working perfectly. Perhaps you've got the same
> problem.
>
> After reading Alan's answer, I will have a look at this file to try
> understand
> what happened in my case.
>
> Regards.
>
> Jean-Philippe

I made a mistake in my previous answer. I worked on /etc/X11/Xsession.options
and not /etc/X11/Xsession.

I also had a look at my .xsession-errors. The only specific entry I got while X
was not working anymore is: "run-parts command not found". As this command is
parsing all specific configuration file, this is surely the cause of the
problems. Unfortunately, I did not have to reinstall it to get X working again
:-(.

Perhaps somebody will have some more ideas.

Jean-Philippe