[Fwd: Re: Need Help-YMF724F Sound Card And ALSA]

Sorry, forgot to copy lists on my reply.
Leonard Chatagnier
--- Begin Message ---
Justin Guerin wrote:

<posted & mailed>

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

Have tried for several weeks to get sound from my Dell Dimensions XPS
T450 with YMF724F sound
card and ALSA drivers.  Have posted before on this issue with no
solution forthcoming.  My latest

I used to have a Dell XPS T450 with YMF724 sound, and it worked perfectly. So it's possible.
Great.  Using alsa or oss?

effort followed the instructions at
www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?module=ymfpci#opt
with no resulting sound from my pc.  Using alsamixer, I unmuted all and
set volume controls up to
90% on everything; still no sound.  Googling yielded lots of hits but
nothing useful except the above
URL.  I'm using real player 10 GOLD and can play video news clips from
Reuters and API on MyYahoo
with good video output but no sound.  I do get static from my speakers
after setting the alsamixer so I'm
confident the speakers are wording.  ymfpci module is loaded.  I ran
update-modules after following the instructions at the above URL.
Hopefully someone using the YMF724F card can tell me what is wrong and
how to fix it, but would appreciate any help whatsoever.  My ALSA
related modules.conf is listed below:
NOTE: Not subscribed-PLEASE COPY MY EMAIL ADDRESS.
[snip modules config]
I also tried to set up the*_The .asoundrc file__
_as shown in the above URL but am not familar with the vi command and
couldn't figure how to
save it.  I just closed the terminal and cated the .swp file which was a
binary an appeared to have
the copied data in it.  However, I don't think the .asoundrc file should
have an .swp extension.
Read man vi, but didn't understand it.  Again, I'd appreciate any help
resolving this issue.
Thanks,
Len Chatagnier
*

To save in vi, first you need to enter command mode by hitting the escape
key.  Then, type :wq and hit return (<colon>wq<return>)  The binary .swp
file is how vi tracks the changes that you've made to the file.  It's not
going to be sufficient to copy the .swp file to the destination file. However, the .swp file is there to save your edits, should vi crash for any
reason.  In that case, just vi the file again (not the swap file, the
original file), and vi will ask you if you want to recover your changes
from a previous session.
Thanks for this info; I couldn't find or maybe overlooked this info when reading the man page for vi(vim). Since the .asoundrc file only enhances, I'll try creating the file
when I have sound.

Anyway, on to your problem.  Did you run aslaconf?  That should be able to
set up your sound card for you.  You will then need to run alsamixer to
unmute the channels.
Thanks, for your replying. Yes, have run alsaconf and alsamixer twice but still no sound while video plays beatifully. Even tried gamix a coulple of times. Everything set up to 90% or better volume. The last time run alsaconf, it eliminated the dev/dsp artsinformational error message that said "too many links to resolve" or something to that effect. Some progess indicated, maybe? This message popped up everytime I started KDE GUI. Hope I didn't initialize something that would prevent sound from playing when
using the mixers through my ignorance.

You mention that you've been using real player to test the sound.  How about
using something a little more basic, like a command line utility (play, for
example).  That might give you a more meaningful error message.
After reading the help files for play and sox, did this with results shown:
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# play /usr/lib/games/luxman/11k/siren.snd
playing /usr/lib/games/luxman/11k/siren.snd
sox: Failed reading /usr/lib/games/luxman/11k/siren.snd: Did not detect valid Sun/NeXT/DEC magic number in header.
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata#

Also did the same file at 8K with same sox message. Played a different 8K file with same results.
If I needed to specify an option, didn't because they are greek to me.

Are you using a sound daemon, like arts or esd?  If so, is real player
configured to play through the sound daemon?  If not, you may have problems
due to the device being locked by the sound server.
I believe I'm using artsd, but havent' restarted it lately. Being windows orientated
and new to Debian, if debconf didn't configure it, neither did I.

Post the sound related output of lsmod, and post the attempts at playing
sound with a command line utility, and that should help pinpoint the
problem.
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
pcspkr                  3592  0
snd_ymfpci             61316  0
snd_ac97_codec         69988  1 snd_ymfpci
snd_pcm_oss            55080  0
snd_mixer_oss          20096  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                98728  2 snd_ymfpci,snd_pcm_oss
snd_opl3_lib           10656  1 snd_ymfpci
snd_timer              25668  3 snd_ymfpci,snd_pcm,snd_opl3_lib
snd_hwdep               9412  1 snd_opl3_lib
snd_page_alloc         11752  2 snd_ymfpci,snd_pcm
tsdev                   7392  0
gameport                4704  1 snd_ymfpci
snd_mpu401_uart         7968  1 snd_ymfpci
snd_rawmidi            25124  1 snd_mpu401_uart
evdev                   9600  0
snd_seq_device          8200  2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_rawmidi
snd 57156 11 snd_ymfpci,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_opl3_lib,snd_timer,snd_hwdep,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore              10336  1 snd
Got everything I knew or thought to be sound related. There are some module ID's that I don't know what they refer to.

Justin Guerin

Justin, thanks so much for your response. I was beginning to panic and about to remove alsa and give oss a try.
Hope the info provided pinpoints the problem.

Leonard Chatagnier

--- End Message ---