OT: Calling SQL experts

Can someone tell me the scope of the various SQL names.  I have googled around
all afternoon looking for a document that defines it and can find none.

In particular, I am trying to convert the textpattern package to use a
postgres database rather than the mysql one.

One of the characteristics of textpattern is that it allows all table names to
have a (setup defined) prefix so that two instances of textpattern can run in
the same database.  Some of these tables have columns which form indexes.

In mysql these are declared implicitly within the CREATE TABLE statement.  For
Postgres I need to explicitly declaire them with a CREATE INDEX statement.
Without knowing the scope of the INDEX name identifier, I can't tell whether
I have to add the prefix on to all index names.

Can someone point me at a SQL tutorial that describes to what extent (across
what surrounding concept (database, table, ...) various names have to be
unique

TIA
--
Alan Chandler