Re: APT-GET UPGRADE VS DIST-UPGRADE

James Vahn wrote:

Leonard wrote:

Thanks James Vahn, for your reply.  I'm not sure what's the difference
between KDE and kde, meta package.

KDE = K Desktop Environment  (huge thing)
kde = dummy meta-package     (tiny little nothing)

Meta-packages have dependancies. In fact, those dependancies can be more
meta-packages. Like "kdeaddons", for example. It is those secondary
meta-packages that actually install KDE through dependancies of their
own.

Let's list the files in the kde package:
user:~$ dlocate -L kde
       /.
       /usr
       /usr/share
       /usr/share/doc
       /usr/share/doc/kde
       /usr/share/doc/kde/README.Debian
       /usr/share/doc/kde/copyright
       /usr/share/doc/kde/changelog.gz

That's it, not much there, :-)

Thanks for the info to enlighten a newbie. However, I don't seem to have the command dlocate. I use bash all the time and have not attempted the others availabe. What terminal command system
is it from?
Len