Re: Printing and silly students

Adam wrote:

>CUPS keeps a log file (/var/log/cups/page_log under Debian) that contains
>useful accounting data. The CUPS Software Administrator's Manual describes
>its format:

>http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sam.html#7_12_3

>Adam

This is almost exactly what I am looking for, and likely what I will
use, but it isn't really super-useful. What we really need to do is find
the user who issues the jobs, so just the IP and time right now wont do
much unless we find the miscreant print job right away, and that doesn't
always happen. What would be optimal is an authentication mechanism. I'm
hoping that it is possible to have CUPS automatically spool jobs and
wait to print them until a user comes along and approves the job in the
web-interface. It could have a per-user auth scheme using
the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf way of limiting user access to different parts
of the interface. I'm not totally sure if this will work yet though.

-Jonathan