Re: Lost all my project data, file recovery tool? Urgent!

Ron Johnson wrote:
On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 20:01 +0200, Matthias Kaeppler wrote:

Hi,

well, I just deinstalled the cvs daemon cvsd, and the author decided that if deinstalled with --purge, not only the cvs repository, but also its parent directory with all other subdirectories should be removed... Brilliant idea, now everything I have ever programmed in my life is lost, because the cvs repository was only one subdirectory among others in a "projects" directory, which was also completely removed.

Now, before I start sending hate mails to the author/packager, is there any way to recover deleted data from en ext3 filesystem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pull out the CD-R to which you backed up your project directory.

No, I'm not trying to be flippant.  For the past 50 years, people/
organizations that don't make backups don't have any right to whine
about lost data.

Eve so, you should file a critical bug against cvsd, since the deinstall "causes serious data loss".

Yes, you are absolutely right. But I guess it's still my right to ask if there is any solution to this messy situation?

I have sent an email to the package maintainer (since he is responsible for the de-/installation scripts, not the cvsd author). I'll wait for his answer before I file a bug.

--
Matthias Kaeppler