Re: Can't reach the Gigabit barrier

Steve Ramage wrote:
I have a small server at the specs are as follows

Duron 900
Gigabyte GA-7ZM
512 MB PC133 SDRAM
1x 120 GB HDD
1x 200 GB HDD
Two networks cards:
1x D-Link DE-528TX (10 Mbps)
1x Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop Adapter (1000 Mbps)
I just added the Intel Pro/1000 adapter, as a replacement to an older
D-Link DFE-538TX ( 100 Mbps)
<SNIP>
If I run: ping -f -s 60000 172.27.2.27 from the three machines and
target my Windows machine, the other machine with a 1 Gbps card, I can
get about 45%, usage out of the network, according to windows, so the
<SNIP>

Have you considered that with a low end 900 MHz and slow FSB (133 MHz)
that you are going to have a hard time filling a Gigabit pipe?  Think
about it.  Gigabit represents ~125 MB/s.  I have a similar low-spec
machine and have a hard time getting more than ~70 MB/s across the PCI
bus.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez