Re: Re; How many ISO CD's required

On (14/04/05 19:26), Manivannan. M wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am installing Debian-Linux but not sure homany CD's required. In the first place I have installed the first CD and configured fully, but once the login appears, I can logon and (pwd entered) only my user name appears. Following that there is $ sign. I do not know how to see the desktop screen.
>
> Can somebody help.
It sounds as though you've completed a basic install and now need to
install some packages, gui etc.

as root type:

aptitude update
aptitude upgrade
aptitude install x-window-system-core kdm kdebase

and when installed type: startx

This will give you kde (a desktop etc.) You may find you encounter some
issues with starting the xserver.  It is worth googling on any errors
because somebody else will have encountered similar issues.

It will all seem a bit bewildering at first but persevere, with acquired
knowledge comes power ;)

Good luck

Clive

--