Re: Backup of remote server to DVD

Andreas Rippl wrote:

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 01:27:01PM +0100, Chris Boot wrote:
Hi all,

I've been hunting around for a nice backup system that will allow me to backup a remote server to DVD. I was looking at Bacula, which according to its manual seems about the perfect solution (if a bit unweildy), but in actual fact doesn't support DVD writing except in CVS. I haven't really looked into Amanda, but DVD writing seems to be a bit of a hack, no? Currently I'm using flexbackup over SSH, but that requires nanual intervention to actually write the archives to DVD, and restoration is difficult.

Does anyone do this on a regular basis? What can people recommend?

Many thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Boot
bootc@bootc.net

Hi Chris,

this is just a thought, as I don't know if it suits you at all, but you
could do something like:

ssh user@remotehost dd if=/dev/hda1 | mkisofs -stream-media-size \
2288576 -- | growisofs -Z /dev/hdd=/dev/fd/0

Many things can be changed here. The odd number is 2kB sectors, the capacity of the DVD (actually the DVD I currently have in the drive). If you want to pursue this path further, I can improve this script, e.g. not
make a backup of a whole partition, but selected files, bzip2, etc...

Hth,

Hi,

Well, flexbackup does a reasonable job of that, I've written a couple of scripts to burn the resulting tarballs to DVD every week, but it's not the same as a proper network backup system with a catalog and all.

Gave bacula another look, the CVS version this time that claims to have DVD support, but it's a nightmare to get working. Gave up on it and I think I'll stick with flexbackup, but extend my scripts a little...

Chris

--
Chris Boot
bootc@bootc.net