oss emulation under alsa?

I am runing Sarge with the stock debian kernel 2.6.7-1-k7 which has ALSA sound built in. I am trying to run a Python program which was written for OSS. How do I get ALSA to emulate OSS so that these, or other programs written for OSS will run?

I have added the following to /etc/modutils/sndconfig:

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

and then I ran update-modules and rebooted, but I still get an error message saying:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./morse.py", line 151, in ?
    main()
  File "./morse.py", line 99, in main
    dev = audiodev.AudioDev()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/audiodev.py", line 229, in AudioDev
    raise error, 'no audio device'
audiodev.error: no audio device

--
Marc Shapiro