Re: Help with a serial console

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 04:43:32PM +0100, Ognjen Bezanov wrote:
> Ok, I just added a serial console to my headless debian server to
> administer it when my network/ssh fails (its happend lots of times, and
> i need to drag a ketboard and monitor all the way there to fix the
> problem).
>
> I got it all running, but noticed that when I login using the serial
> console controls such as ctrl-C, ctrl-X and others do not work. As such
> i need some tips on how to get these working (e.g. stopping a 'tail -f
> /some/file' uses ctrl-C).
>
> Also i need a text editor that will work with the serial console. I
> tried nano,pico and VI but they all appear garbled beyond use on the
> console.

What terminal type (or software terminal emulation) are you using?

I think you need to check your TERM environment variable and set it to
match your serial terminal settings.  (e.g. the TERM variable is
vt100, and you want TERM=vt220)

In your /etc/inittab the getty line for the serial port can specify
what type of terminal is on the serial line.

If you are repairing something from single user mode, you might have
to manually adjust the TERM variable.  I think it uses a compiled in
kernel default.  May someone more knowledgeable can add something in
this case.

HTH

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.