Re: Utility to assess which process is doing disk I/O

John <JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com> writes:

> On (13/04/05 13:37), Bob Alexander wrote:
>> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>> From: Bob Alexander <bob@ngi.it>
>> Subject: Re: Utility to assess which process is doing disk I/O
>> Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:37:15 +0200
>>
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>  > atop.  But you've got to patch the kernel to get per-process disk
>> >stats. :(
>> >

>> Thank you Ron. Tried atop but without kernel patches.
>>
>> Bob
>
> Consider htop:
>
> me:~$ aptitude show htop
> Package: htop
> State: installed
> Automatically installed: no
> Version: 0.5.1-1
>  Htop is an ncursed-based process viewer similar to top, but it allows to
>  scroll the list vertically and horizontally to see all processes and their
>  full command lines.
>
>  Tasks related to processes (killing, renicing) can be done without entering
>  their PIDs.
>
>  Homepage: http://htop.sourceforge.net

Are you sure this is the answer to OP's question? Apparently he
placed a FAQ which comes up regularly, i.e. how to monitor disk
activity on process (or kernel thread) level.

Especially with journaling file systems users tend to notice regular
disk activity without knowing which process might cause this. Afaik, it's
been a long standing issue that there's effectively no known tool
which allows disk activity monitoring including process attribution,
maybe even without kernel patching. And htop, I'm afraid, doesn't
offer that capability either.

If anybody knows more, I'd be interested as well.

Regards, Bruno.