Re: help with Wine..

Tom Weller at Ambassador Computers wrote:
I am not able to configure wine, and am a bit clueless as to how to
configure it, I guess I need some sample screen shots.

I want to be able to access existing windows applications on a dual boot
machine, and also to be able to load windows apps on a Linux only box. (I'm
trying to convert small business clients from M$ to Debian with Open Office,
and want to cover all possible scenarios before I make any presentations.
I'd be grateful for knowing how to configure Wine on a machine that had been
Windows only, then converted to dual boot. Typically the first (4 GB)
partition is for linux root, 2nd (1 GB) partition is for linux swap, third
partition is the original windows (identified as c: within windows), An
optional fourth partition is for linux /home

Tom,
not really an expert but got Lotus Notes and IE6 running smoothly under WINE on Debian (sid).

Installing wine is straightforward. Just apt-get a few packages. Here are mine.

bob@t40:~$ dpkg -l |grep wine
ii  libwine        0.0.20040914-1 Windows Emulator (Library)
ii  libwine-print  0.0.20040914-1 Windows Emulator (Printing Module)
ii  wine           0.0.20040914-1 Windows Emulator (Binary Emulator)
ii  wine-utils     0.0.20040914-1 Windows Emulator (Utilities)

Consider that if your Windows partition is an NTFS one you will most probably (I hope) have it READ ONLY and this will cuase problems if you try to use that partition to run your windows progs from.

The easiest thing you can usually do is to run a fresh install of your Windows program from within wine. IIRC this will usually install stuff under your ~/.wine dir.

Let us know.

Bob