Re: Can't Create Child Process - No Usable X11

on Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:14:32AM -0500, Kenneth Jacker (khj@be.cs.appstate.edu) wrote:
> [sarge/testing;  2.6.8-1-686]
>
> I am currently unable to run 2.6.8 and X11 with 'xterm's and other
> graphical applications though I get the 'gdm' initial screen and login.
>
> The exact error message dialog from what appears to be a Gnome
> terminal (though I'm using KDE sessions) says:
>
>    There was an error creating the child process for this terminal.
>
> The GUI is pretty much dead ...
>

> My hunch is somehow 'udev' stopped working correctly ... maybe borked
> "pseudo terminals"?  I say this due to messages I've seen and behavior
> after recovering from a "power fail" a few weeks ago. Then, after
> rebooting, /dev/null's permissions had been changed to 660 causing
> *many* things to break.  Also, there were no /dev/pty* created (though
> they were under /.dev).  Finally, the XF86Config-4 file was modified.
>
> I'm running OK under a 2.4.x kernel, but want to return to 2.6!

Just adding my $0.02 to this thread.

X used to have a pretty low client limit, I believe this has been raised
more recently.  Old limit was somewhere around 128 IIRC.

User limits on memory, processes, and/or open files (X communicates via
sockets) can restrict opening new processes.

Insufficient free memory can have similar impacts.

Peace.

    So it is down to you, and it is down to me. If you wish her dead, by
    all means, keep moving forward.
    - Princess Bride