Re: partly solved: udev/kernel2.6 vs. scanner?

Dave Thayer wrote:
On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 06:21:06PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:

Hi folks,

i had my epson PhotoPerfection2450 working perfectly under kernel
2.4.21  (on a sid/powerpc system).  I upgraded to 2.6.10 --
halleluljah, by the way, I love udev -- and now everythign works
except my scanner, which is no longer found by scanimage -L

The handling of USB scanners has changed with 2.6.  Have a look at
/usr/share/doc/libsane/README.Debian.gz for details.

hmmm. looked through this, did all that was requested; something odd is going on, I think. sane-find-scanner finds the scanner:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0112 [EPSON Scanner]) at libusb:001:011

but scanimage -L hangs when the scanner's plugged in to usb. odd. have tried various tricks, like adding a new entry to /etc/hotplug/distmap as per http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/USB%20Scanner and other google'd sites, but none of that works (and I figure all such shenanigans really should be unnecessary anyway).

So I'd like to figure that out, but it's no longer so urgent since scsi works now, see below.

2. getting sane to identify scanner: sane-find-scanner finds nothing. sudo sane-find-scanner, however, gives this output (in a bunch of comments: found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0112 [EPSON
Scanner]) at libusb:004:009

Looks like you need to add yourself to the scanner group.

ah. looks, rather, as though I have to chown the and chmod the device file so that it has the right permissions. at least with the scsi device... I think I've now done this right by adding "GROUP" and "MODE" settings to the udev rule governing this device: BUS="scsi", SYSFS{model}="GT-9700 ", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="epson-fw-scanner", MODE="0660",GROUP="scanner"

this mostly works well, though I can't actually access the scanner through the symlink. Not sure why that would be, perhaps because sane-find-scanner doesn't look anywhere except /dev/sg* for scanners? It would be great if the /dev/epson-fw-scanner symlink DID work since I'd like to hardcode the device name into a little script for automating pdf conversion (stolen partly from Andrew Perrin, thanks andrew).

anyway, if anyone has more suggestions on USB or SCSI, I'm grateful as always!

thanks,

matt

--

 .''`.       Matt Price