Re: OT: Bash Scripting Question

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 02:47:00PM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> On Sunday 10 April 2005 01:06 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > >     It doesn't.

> > >     Nope.  Several examples were provided, not just one.  Also one
> > > explination was provided which explains why find is used.  You are
> > > finding these files. The thing is you're using an overly broad statement
> > > which happens to include all the files in a given path.  You'll note,
> > > however, that find does not replicate the functionality of ls.  It does
> > > not list all the file's attributes (name, date, mtime, permissions, size
> > > and so on) only the filename itself for another tool... say... ls to use
> > > to obtain that information.
> >
> > Hmmm.
> >   for f in $(ls -1)
> >   do
> >       blah ${f}
> >   done
>
> If you change the "for f in $(ls -l)" to "for f in $(ls -l$)", it won't work.
The example used "$(ls -1)" NOT "$(ls -l)". That's the digit one, not
the letter ell.

What in the world is "l$" supposed to mean?

> I don't feel I'm an expert, but from my layman's understanding of *nix, that
> each command does one thing and does it well, it seems there should be two
> switches on ls to allow it to print the FULL pathname, or the relative
> pathname of a file in either a regular or recursive listing.

Define "full pathname". The same file can have multiple "full
pathnames". That's what hard links give you. If you want a "full
pathname" you have to *tell* ls what it is.

	ls -d /x/y/z/*

will give you

	/x/y/z/a
	/x/y/z/b
	/x/y/z/c
	/x/y/z/d
	/x/y/z/e

etc.

--
"Learning is like rowing upstream: not to advance is to drop back."
	-- Chinese proverb