Re: Xprint versioning scheme?

Le Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:59:31 +0200, Nicos Gollan a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> while trying to troubleshoot some problems with printing, I found that the
> packages providing xprint stuff are at versions like 0.1.0.alpha1 while the
> project has already released version 0.9.001 in July 2004. Now, does this
> mean that xprint is unmaintained in Debian, or just that the maintainers
> chose to use Their Own Scheme? Printing from Firefox is horribly broken
> (fonts are substituted randomly, page setup is mostly ignored, printer
> settings are a bad joke, the preview is totally whacked and it's
> crash-o-rama), so would this explain it?
>
> Or is it because Xprint is also an X.org project and doesn't really fit in
> with the (rather antiquated by now) XFree 4.3.0?

mozilla forked xprint from xfree86 (was mostly abandonned), and now xorg
hav imported the mozilla code in their repository (i guess it is the
canonical version for mozilla too nowadays).

You can uninstall xprint , restart your application and check if it work
better (firefox support gnome print framework too).
Xprint is mostly interesting to have a standard print framework accross
your applications.

The version in debian is now named "xprint" (sid) and
replaces all the other (even the old "xprint" from xfree86).

Regards
Alban