Re: Gtk-WARNING: cannot open display

Incoming from Alban Browaeys:
> Le Fri, 08 Apr 2005 23:31:51 +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg a écrit :
>
> >>btw, i am using root, not a normal user account. i prefer not to have normal
> >>user accounts (as I am the only user).
> >
> > You'll really regret that once the first Linux  virus hits.
> > Or when you type rm -rf / tmp/* by mistake.

BTW, for the newbies reading this, that command, run as a mere user,
will fail to rm anything the box needs to survive, but WILL SUCCEED in
blowing away your home dir.  Hope your backups are recent.

Run as root, it will blow away the box.

[Other good words from Alban snipped]

A "mere user" account is a *feature* of *nix, not an impediment.
Logged in as my mere user, I can do anything I need to.  It's not a
lot of bother to have to "su -" to root to do something that you've
already decided needs to be done.  Once done, get out so there's less
chance of inadvertent breakage.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -