Re: Gtk-WARNING: cannot open display

Le Fri, 08 Apr 2005 23:31:51 +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg a écrit :

>>btw, i am using root, not a normal user account. i prefer not to have normal
>>user accounts (as I am the only user).
>
> You'll really regret that once the first Linux  virus hits.
> Or when you type rm -rf / tmp/* by mistake.

If you use an irc client , if you run it as root there is a high chance i
will be able to erase your partition.
Mozilla/firefox don't work as root (if you manage to run them , they won't
be able to protect you from the firs javascript script which want to erase
your disk)...
You could also try windows and disable all securities and make c:
available to the web with anonimous access.

You can use sudo (/etc/sudo) to give your normal user some privileges
(apt-get upgrade and the like) per command ...

Also under debian the root account does not have the right to start X by
default. This is not a mistake from the debian maintainers ...
And to add to this if an application goes mad and you run it as root ,
your are lost (reset lover).

Take care
Alban