Re: XFree86: Fatal server error: No screen found

scmascot wrote:

>I've been using Redhat and Fedora for the past several
>years, but I recently decided to try out Debian. After
>completing the installation process, I installed XF86
>and went in to configure it. I tried about 10
>different configurations, with the end result of each
>one being the error "(--) Assigning device section
>with no busID to primary device
>(EE) No devices detected.".
>
>I believe it's because my video card is built-in, and
>it's looking for a PCI/AGP location, but I'm not sure
>how to override it.
>
>My XF86Config file looks like this:

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe even Woody, as old as it is, has the
version of X that uses XF86Config-4 instead of XF86Config. So that might
be the first place to start looking.

I'd suggest running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86".

Even more so, I'd suggest upgrading to Testing, or my personal fave,
Sid, so you get newer software. For a desktop workstation, Testing and
Sid are plenty stable. Woody's just too old to be palatable to me on a
workstation.

You've posted a partial config file, and it looks like we're missing
some info in it that might be pertinent; for example, you have two
Device sections, but we have no idea which device section your config
file has been instructed to use. I'd suggest you post the entire file.

Also, the command "lspci" might provide relevant info on your video chipset.

--
Kent